Re: alternatives to the matriarchy/patriarchy

Robin Reed <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Jan 2000 00:40:57 EST

In a message dated 1/4/00 4:10:41 AM !!!First Boot!!!, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<<
 This makes me think of Jane Harrison's "Prolegomena." She says the same
 thing.  I rather like Harrison's approach to understanding the deeper
 substratum of religious ritual beneath the classical era in the Aegean:
 that the ancient (chthonic) traditions remain embedded in the newer
 (Olympian) forms.  For example, the Haloa and Thesmophoria were women's
 rituals that focused on the handling of "sacra" and men were excluded from
 the core of these rituals. Later, male heirophants and archons became
 attached to the pomp and circumstance, but basically these were potent
 fertility rites that were deemed the exclusive province of women. These were
 also extremely ancient rites.  Might this be one form of "evidence"  that
 may help us to know how people long ago might have viewed their world (and
 with the leap of faith needed: the role of the sexes)?

Ah, a woman after my own heart.  I ran across Themis by Jane Harrison in the
library at Berkeley and instantly felt a comradery with her.

As to the point regarding evidence, the transformation and assimilation of
earlier religious ritual and beliefs are some of the clues that I continue to
stress.  It's through identifying these patterns and then speculating on them
that we begin to look at different possibilities and perhaps gain a better
insight into the cultures of our ancestors.  Obviously we'll never gain a
full understanding of their society, but at least we can possibly contradict
the inaccuracies that have been presented as gospel.

Thank you for your insight and your participation.  This discussion and
others that might not seem to have any significence all add up to that
internal thought process that I feel is so instrumental in building a better
foundation from which we conduct our research.

Robin Reed