what can be known about witches

Janeen Grohsmeyer <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Jan 2000 12:30:55 -0500

Theresa Therese wrote:

>I found a
>fabulous site that actually documented the names and solid resource for
>witches that had been burned - more realistic figures were around 250,000

The 1999 Fall Issue of PanGaia has an article "The Great European Witchhunt"
by Jenny Gibbons. She discusses the difficulty of research, the improper use
of statistics, and some blatant outright lies that have led to some of this
disparity in numbers.   The article also says: "To date, less than 15,000
definite executions [for witchcraft] have been discovered in all of Europe
and America combined."   An estimate of 40,000 total deaths for the witch
hunts is suggested.

I am not qualified to judge either the accuracy or the inaccuracy of
Gibbons's research, however, it is an interesting article to read, in part
because she touches on the very issues we have been discussing on the list
lately:
- What do we know
- How do we know it or prove it
- Whose research can we rely on
- What biases do people bring to their studies
- What are our own biases

Back issues of the magazine are available through www.pangaia.com

Janeen Grohsmeyer