Suda Classics I.4-5: Hermias; search for Trireme

"Patrick T. Rourke" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Jan 2000 22:28:15 -0500

[Apologies for cross-posting.]

The Suda On Line (SOL) welcomes you back to the new year presenting this
month's edition of Suda Classics - a monthly message featuring the best of
recent additions to the Suda On Line database of translations from the Suda.
This past month, we've featured both a heavily annotated entry, Hermias, and
a search of the database by keyword (to demonstrate the kind of searches
that will be possible when the SOL database is fully populated) - in this
case, Trireme.

Suda Classics 1.4

Hermias, Epsilon 3040
http://www.stoa.org/sol-cgi-bin/search.pl?searchstr=epsilon,3040
Translated by Malcolm Heath

Suda Classics 1.5

Search for keyword in any field: trireme
http://www.stoa.org/sol-cgi-bin/search.pl?searchstr=trireme
Lemmata translated by Susan Shapiro, Anne Mahoney, and A.G. Kozak;
"Peridander" edited by Eric Nelson.

If you'd like to volunteer your services as an editor (vetting completed
entries like the above for possible improvements), you might want to how to
improve the entries on thalamakeis and zomeumata. If you'd like to volunteer
your services as a translator, may we suggest tettarwn obolwn (Tau 368) and
Oedipus (Omicron-iota 34), Sisinnios (Sigma 481, 482), or - why not? -
trireme (Tau 977).

If you are interested in volunteering as either a translator or an editor,
please register at the SOL website, http://www.stoa.org/sol/. This is the
"lite" version of Suda Classics, suitable for distribution on professional
and special interest e-mail lists. If you'd like to receive all the biweekly
Suda Classics mailings in full, rather than the short monthly versions we've
begun to post to mailing lists, please sign up for the Suda mailing list at

http://lsv.uky.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=suda&A=1 .

Finally, if you'd like to suggest a future Suda Classic feature translation,
please contact the SOL Managing Committee at the address below.