Not the Classical Ideal

Ross Scaife <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Jan 2000 10:24:08 -0500

I am passing along the following information at the publisher's request.

For more information contact Sara Palmbush <[log in to unmask]>

Not the Classical Ideal
by Beth Cohen

"The seeds were sown, in part, by Renaissance humanists like the art
theorist and architect,
Leon Battista Alberti, who knew from the ancients that an ideal and
beautiful outer self was a
seamless expression of the inner self."
        Beth Cohen in her Introduction to Not the Classical Ideal

What ideas have historically influenced our view of the ideal human form
and what impact do
those influences have on images of beauty, strength, intelligence, and
consequently power today?

As author Beth Cohen points out, we have become increasingly concerned with
'questions of
otherness' in the 1990's. The idea of the 'other' historically existed as
the antithesis to the idea of the 'ideal' figure in Greek Art and Culture.
It stood for all that was NOT: human, male, free, Greek, or good.   Over
the last generation, investigations of the 'Other' have helped to inform
the analysis of Classical Greek culture, and as Froma I. Zeitlin has
observed, 'the idea of otherness' is now a commonplace.'

Beth Cohen and a cast of eighteen international contributors combine
several different analyses ranging from the traditional to the avant-garde
and taking Greek Art from the 530s to the 330s B.C. as their subject
matter.  Together they survey the many different manifestations of the
Other in the art of Classical Greece. By looking at specific examples of
the expression of otherness in,  The Other in Greek Art, we gain valuable
insight not only into the Greek viewpoint but also a current ideal that in
many ways remains incredibly close to the ideal of the ancients.

About the Author: Beth Cohen, Ph.D. (1977) in Art History, Institute of
Fine Arts, teaches at
the New York Academy of Art.

Publication date: March 15, 2000                                    Contact: Sara Palmbush
Cloth: 9004116184  $ 87.00/ EUR 71.00                                       Fax: 31
(0)71 531 7532
Paper: 9004117121  $ 48.00/ EUR 39.00                                       Phone: 31
(0)71 535 3561
Pages: 560 pages                                                    [log in to unmask]
Numerous images                                                     Visit us at www.brill.nl

Please fax or email your review copy requests. Please include the title,
author and ISBN as well as the address to
whom the book should be sent.