Re: Matriarchy

Phoebe Allison <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Jan 2000 12:25:41 -0500

Angie Ryan's remarks are very interesting.

I say we commonly use our research into the past to legitimize our present view of "reality."  We're all familiar with glorification of the past, including the belief that many people in our society hold that American values have careened downhill in the past thirty years.  These people are "remembering" a past of their television families and friends, Ozzie and Harriet and others.  Few of them had the idealized past they "remember" in their own families.

I go into a quiet tizzy over the discovery of previously unknown documents dating from about the time of Christ, give or take a few hundred years, such as the Angel Scroll which I saw mentioned in one newpaper article only.  Why do I care about these discoveries?  Probably because they cofirm my belief that the commonly accepted Protestant Bible leaves huge gaps in the teachings of Jesus.

Research has value.  It is our way of leading ourselves to what we want to find.  For "truth," however, I'll go with the mystics who advocate direct (not intellectual) knowledge of (insert your own word here:  God, All that Is, the Source, the Force, Goddess, the Void).

By the way, did anyone else see the article on the Angel Scroll?