Matriarchy and the search for knowledge

Robin Reed <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 3 Jan 2000 16:27:48 EST

In a message dated 1/3/00 6:49:49 PM !!!First Boot!!!, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<<  We can almost always find what we are looking FOR, it is when we are not
really looking for specifics but looking for patterns in the available data
while doing our best to identify and admit to our own prejudices that we find
the most valuable information. >>

I think that is in essence what we are doing - identifying the underlying
pattern within prehistoric culture that doesn't go along with the currently
expressed view of humankind.

I also would hate to see us limit that intuitive leap of knowledge that
inevitably plays an important part in gaining knowledge.  There's nothing
wrong with expecting exacting research and the appropriate application of
methodology in conducting that research, but there is more to the process
than dotting an i and crossing a t.

So many of our greatest leaps have been due to a preconceived idea or thought
that we can't turn a deaf ear and a blind eye to it.  Of course, this is the
area that drives people crazy - trying to figure out how someone made that
"leap."  However, therein lies the basis of genius - that ability to catch a
glimmer of some knowledge and find a way to use or present it to others - not
necessarily explain how it happened.  It's not as easy as a simple
mathematical formula that builds upon itself step by unerring step.  In the
scientific method that for something to be proven it must be able to be
replicated by anyone who follows the same steps.  But, how did the
originating individual realize those first steps when no one else could?
Someone looked at a pattern or an idea and through some marvel of human
intelligence, the leap occurred.  That process is as intricate and yet as
vague as the mystery of life itself.

I'm reminded of Darwin who, after presenting the concept of natural
selection, spent the rest of his life trying to prove to himself how he
figured it out and if it was factual.  What a scientist.  He wanted to be
able to see the steps that brought him to that stage of knowledge, but so
much of what enabled him to reach that leap occurred within his own mind and
the processing that happened through a combination of academic learning and
common live experiences that so often cannot be put into words.

If we could find the formula for how genius insight occurs, then we could
control it and manipulate it.  Control - sounds like a pretty patriarchal
concept.  For me personally, I am fascinated with this process and I agree
with you that it's the patterns that lead to such knowledge.

I had earlier related that << There are clues in the past as to how people
thought and what they believed.  It's just a matter of analysis and
interpretation.>>

Peter responded with: <<Analysis and interpretation? Rather necromancy and
telepathy, I am afraid. >>

I have to admit I smiled when I read his response.  So predictable that it
doesn't even phase me anymore.  That has always been the response to new
ideas and theories that don't conform to the norm.  Peter, everyone has a
right to their opinions and many will never have the openness to expand them.
 I'm not involved in this type of research to create a new "religion."  I am
here on a quest for knowledge and as much as possible for "truth."  Just as
Darwin, I have the same opportunity to put my education and life experiences
to work on analyzing and interpreting data related to a particular pattern.
Who knows?  Perhaps an epiphany will occur.  Perhaps not.  Perhaps all I will
contribute to this area of knowledge is more data for the next person.

I do know without a doubt that anything I present will illicit controversy.
Some people will support my findings while others will vehemently oppose
them.  It would be rather arrogant and egotistical for me to expect everyone
to agree with my particular interpretation of an area that is considered
subjective.  However, I have no intentions of allowing that to silence my
scientific research into the past.  I see the clues and patterns and I will
spend the rest of my life attempting to document, analysis and interpret them
just as others will continue to do the same with the patterns they encounter.

What a wonderful way to spend this lifetime.

Robin Reed