ANAHITA  March 2000

ANAHITA March 2000

Suda Classics 1.6 (February 2000)

"P. T. Rourke" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:26:21 -0500

The Suda On Line (SOL) presents February's edition of Suda Classics - a
monthly message featuring the best of recent additions to the Suda On Line
database of translations from the Suda.  The Suda Classics message for
February (yes, I know it's not February) is a new annotated translation by
Robert Dyer of the entry for the city/citadel of Akę (Ake^) in Phoenicia,
Alpha 858 (Adler).  I'll include the translation, and ask you to look up the
URI below to read the notes.

Headword: Akę
Adler number: alpha,858
Translated headword: not given
Translation: A city in Phoenicia, (a name)[1] which some say[2] the city now
called Ptolemais was called in ancient times, but Demetrios (sc. Scepsius)
says was not the city but the acropolis.

http://www.stoa.org/sol-cgi-bin/search.pl?searchstr=alpha,858

This draft translation features an example of Suda's crosslinking
technologies, providing a hypercitation to the Brown Scholarly Technology
Group's Bible Browser, specifically a relevant passage in Acts 21.

If you'd like to volunteer your services as an editor (vetting completed
entries like the above for possible improvements), please contact the SOL
Managing Committee at the address below, or register at our web site at
http://www.stoa.org/sol/ .   There might be other resources available on the
Web you can suggest be added to the Akę lemma.

There are plenty of other lemmata waiting to be translated, too; tens of
thousands. Perhaps you'd like to translate the Souda's account of the story
of Gyges (gamma,472), or have some suggestions for annotation of the lemma
on the Kadmeia (kappa,15); maybe Augustus (alpha,4413) - yes, that's right,
there's stuff in the Suda for the Romans, too; or kappa,27, Kain, ho tou
Abel adelphos (Abel's entry has already been done).

If you are interested in volunteering as either a translator or an editor,
please register at the SOL website, http://www.stoa.org/sol/.  If you're not
on one of the mailing lists to which we're distributing Suda Classics, and
would like to receive future mailings, please sign up for the Suda mailing
list at

http://lsv.uky.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=suda&A=1 .

Finally, if you'd like to suggest a future Suda Classic feature translation,
please contact the SOL Managing Committee at the address below.

Suda On Line - http://www.stoa.org/sol/  - [log in to unmask] (Managing
Committee)
P. T. Rourke - [log in to unmask]

Suda Classics 1.7 - March 2000 coming soon