ANAHITA  March 2000

ANAHITA March 2000

Re: Seeds for thought

Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:29:44 EST

Paula Johansen writes:
<< The seeds that provide nearly 90% of the food we eat have been grown for
 more than eight thousand years. <....>  they knew an unbelievable amount
about how to produce good seed for good crop plants.
         I'd be surprised if farming and seed metaphors WEREN'T used to name
and
 describe human sexuality and fertility.>>

Julia Biales replies:
<<Not true exactly -- modern wheat has only been around since Roman times,
late Roman at that.  Before that what they had was durum wheat and other
wheat-like plants like spelt.>>

    Wonderful to have a working farmer here.
    But, Durham wheat _is_ a modern wheat.  Just yesterday I boiled some
noodles, on a gas stove in a 21-story apartment house.
    The wheat & barley, rice, corn, & manioc, which feeds the animal & human
world, has been cultivated & developed over time since agriculture started,
in Southeast Asia.
    Seed cultivation did come late, well after root cultivation, which is
asexual.  But, to put a date on cereal grain production, 8000 years ago in
the Zagros Mountains of what is now Kurdistan, is as definitive as we can
get.
    Of course there has been change in the varieties of the seeds we use.
The rate of change in this last decade, alone, has been phenomenal.  The
population of the earth has more than tripled since I was born.  Changes in
seeds have almost kept pace.  But the carbohydrates we eat now are pretty
much direct descendants of the carbs of the Neolithic people.
    Is there anyone who has looked into a possible connection between a
decline in goddess centered worship & a shift from root to seed production?

Sheila Shiki y Michaels