ANAHITA  March 2000

ANAHITA March 2000

Re: Seeds for thought

Robert and/or JuliaBiales <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Mar 2000 21:03:15 -0500

Jim Miller wrote:

> In a message dated 03/13/2000 7:37:15 AM Central Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
> << Not true exactly -- modern wheat has only been around since
>  Roman times, late Roman at that.  Before that what they had was
>  durum wheat and other wheat-like plants like spelt.  >>
>
> Last I heard, triploid wheat (from emmer, spelt, and goatsbeard) goes back at
> least 1000 years before the Roman Empire.

Today's red wheat comes from three groups of wild grasses,
each with
seven chromosomes, the first cross creating a fourteen
chromosome
durum wheat, with only two sets of seven chromosomes , is
too low
in glutin to rise well enough for bread but used for
nonleavened
foods.

All three of the above are good food seeds but they are
'covered'
seeds -- none of them shatter as you'd need for a true
wheat.
http://www.purityfoods.com/spelthistory.html
The third, wild grass brought in both the extra glutin and
some
allergins that upset many people with wheat allergies, but
these
older ones are safe for them.

These, I grow and sell.

Why this is important is that cultures change with the tools
they
use -- and Roman and before cultures are flatbread in nature
--
the Egyptians used a higher in glutin grain but that still
needed

The bread on the table was not Wonder Bread, not until well
after A.D.

JulieB