ANAHITA  March 2000

ANAHITA March 2000

Re: onelist

David Meadows <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Mar 2000 05:31:59 -0700

FWIW in this discussion, this is still an academic list as far as I'm
concerned. I consider myself an academic (an ABD teacher trying to find a
classics position in a high school), and I believe my colistowner is an
academic. The list membership contains pretty much the same subscribers as
before the switch (I have to check on a few that seem to have disappeared),
so that isn't an issue.

As for the venue, you do not have to read the messages via the website, so
you won't be bombared with such ads ... you will get an ad in the footer,
but usually it's rather inobtrusive and comes after the sig. anyway (i.e.
when you hit the delete button) ... I run a number of lists on onelist and
have for a couple years now and I swear I rarely even see an ad.

As for taking apparent moral high grounds on the basis of who might be
sharing disk space with this list, I'd suggest that university computers
aren't anywhere near as "innocent" as you might think and  a good chunk of
university network time is taken up by students visiting sites of ill
repute. Of course, that doesn't affect the quality of the list that might
be hosted at that institution, just as it doesn't affect the quality of
*this* list.

That said, hopefully I can return to lurking and moderating ...

dm