ANAHITA  March 2000

ANAHITA March 2000

Re: Spreading seeds

Fri, 10 Mar 2000 00:27:26 -0700

On Sat, 4 Mar 2000, Katzeff wrote:

> Since ancient times, the male seminal fluid has been referred to as
> "seed," and the male sex drive has been metaphorically described as the
> urge for a man to "spread his seed."   How did the ancients come up with
> this metaphor when they were presumably unable to know, without
> microscopes, that a man's seminal fluid contained tiny particles--sperm?
>
> Furthermore, since seeds come from female plants or from plants that
> have both male and female parts, how did the seed become the product of
> a man?
        The expression "seed" became a metaphor around the time that
agriculture became big business instead of informal gardening, is my bet.
        Either that or after people began raising animals in captivity.
        Y'see, it doesn't take many months of observation to notice that
cattle of various kinds come into season once a year, mate, and bear young
some months later, unlike us humans. It looks like we have babies just any
old time, for no obvious reason at fist glance.
                                If people hadn't figured out the link
between sex and conception before that, they certainly did when they tried
to raise animals. So they knew what that semen stuff was, a loooooong time
ago.
        Calling it "seed" would only be a positive metaphor if planting
seed was a high-status act. It's definitely a positive metaphor.
        Paula