AMIA-L@LSV.UKY.EDU

AMIA-L Home

AMIA-L  August 2003

AMIA-L August 2003

Re: LOST TV - MIC project

Bob Birchard <[log in to unmask]>

Association of Moving Image Archivists <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:20:18 -0700

Who compiled the list of lost films?  More research is needed!!!!!!!!!!

The Aryan 1916 Blackhawk Films used to sell this, if I remember correctly
Confessions of a Queen 1925  A substantial fragment survives--three reels or so
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurís Court 1921--A fragment of this survives
The Divine Woman 1928--a reel of this survives
The Dragnet 1928--This survives complete, though is not readily accessible
Fazil 1928 -- exists complete
Flaming Youth 1923--short fragment survives
Garden of Allah 1927 -- survives complete or substantially complete
Man, Woman and Sin 1927 -- survives complete
Mockery 1927 -- survives complete
The River 1928--survives missing a reel
Senorita 1927--survives in the Luxembourg Film Archive, complete with French
titles
The Show 1927--survives complete
Street Angel 1928 -- survives complete
The Young Rajah 1922 -- survives incomplete in a single 16mm print struck from
the Italian release in private hands

    Several of these films, including Fazil, The Show, Mockery; Man, Woman and
Sin; Confessions of a Queen [fragment], Senorita, and Street Angel have been
shown in recent years at Cinecon or Cinefest or by the Silent Society of
Hollywood Heritage.

    I'll take this opportunity to mention that Cinecon 39 is coming up in
Hollywood over Labor Day Weekend, August 28 through September 1 with over thirty
rare silent and early sound films to be screened at the Egyptian Theater over the
five day period.  For more information visit the web site:

http://www.cinecon.org

or e-mail me directly off list.

    Also, on the "Found Films" list:

The Rough Riders 1927  Only some stock footage shots (i.e. material without
principal actors and action stuff) are known to survive.

Polly of the Circus 1917  As far as I know this has never been "lost" it was
copied to safety film at least as early as the 1970s

The Enemy 1927 - is missing a reel

Doctor X 1932  -- this was lost only in that it "went missing" by means of five
finger discount and was later recovered

The Devilís Circus 1926  -- Again, this has never been "lost"

Beggar on Horseback 1925  -- survives only in fragment

    You want lost films?  The Devil's Pass Key (1919), Convention City (1933),
Damaged Goods (1915), Feet of Clay (1924), The Arab (1915), We Can't Have
Everything (1919), The Zepplin's Last Raid (1916), Wanderer of the Wasteland
(1924) [first major studio film shot in two-color Technicolor], about 190 films
directed by Francis Boggs between 1907 and 1911, the majority of John Ford's
silent output, Brewsters Millions (1921), Heart Trouble (1928), The Sea Wolf
(1913), One of Millions (1914), the oft-mentioned London After Midnight (1927),
and on and on and on . . .

    If the organizers of this event need stills from lost films--I'd be happy to
make stills from my collection available for copying.

--
Bob Birchard
http://www.mdle.com/ClassicFilms/Guest/birchard.htm