AMIA-L@LSV.UKY.EDU

AMIA-L Home

AMIA-L  January 2006

AMIA-L January 2006

Re: Umatic problem-Is it a PAL tape?

James Lindner <[log in to unmask]>

Association of Moving Image Archivists <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Jan 2006 12:29:58 -0500

Since the problem exists with two different playback decks - that would most
likely rule out head clogs and any playback issue that would relate back to
a single playback deck which were some of the solutions offered. Since the
image was black - as in no snow - it would most likely be because a blanking
circuit had cut in - and in fast forward / rewind basically the circuit is
defeated and what ever the heads pick up is picked up - pretty
indiscriminately  - the blanking circuit usually looks for Control Track -
no control track and it gates in. It depends on the deck - I don't remember
the specifics of that particular deck - It may be that a more professional
deck may play it back enough to see an image - but it might still be
unstable.

So what is it? - I believe the subject tape is an out of standard RECORDING.
The problem is not in the playback but in the original recording.

My suggestion is to first play back a known good tape - in the same standard
as the subject tape to make sure that there are no system problems. Then -
if the system is OK - my call is that the subject tape is probably recorded
out of standard. That could mean that there was a head clog on the record so
only 1 field has been recorded - or more likely that the guides were out of
alignment so that the tape is essentially its own "format"... see how easy
it is to make a new video format!!

So how do you play it back? Essentially what you need to do is to have a
service technician or someone who knows what they are doing - put the tape
in a deck and put the deck OUT of alignment to just play back that single
tape, and then put it back into alignment when it is done. I did this
frequently for forensic work and restoration work. It takes a while to do -
but is not really a hard thing to do.

Jim Lindner

*
	Email: [log in to unmask]
*
	Media Matters LLC.
*
	Address: 500 West 37th Street, 1st FL
	New York, N.Y. 10018
*
	eFax (646) 349-4475
*
	Mobile: (917) 945-2662
*
	www.media-matters.net

Media Matters LLC. is a technical consultancy specializing in archival audio
and video material. We provide advice, analysis, and products to media
archives that apply the beneficial advances in technology to collection
management.