Help for AMIA-L Archives

AMIA-L Archives

AMIA-L@LSV.UKY.EDU

AMIA-L Home

AMIA-L  January 2006

AMIA-L January 2006

Re: Copyright of material generated for AMIA committees

"Grace J. Agnew" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:12:38 -0500

However, copyright law in international treaty and national legislation
is very clear.  Unless the person in question is an employee and the
work is a work for hire, or the person is a consultant and the ownership
of any work produced is transferred to the hiring party, as part of the
contract, copyright resides with the creator.

MIC has lots of materials written by others via the Education and
Outreach Committee.  We addressed copyright in the following way.  We
acknowledge that copyright resides with the creator but we ask them to
license their creations for use with attribution, using a Creative
Commons license, which appears on the bottom of each web page.   What we
still need to do is provide guidance on attribution on a separate page.

I suggest that AMIA might want to adopt the same strategy.  The critical
issues: AMIA has no legal claim to copyright, which resides with the
authors. AMIA is, however, a publisher, and like other publishers can
negotiate the licensing of the resources it is publishing.  In the case
of AMIA, which shares the goal of MIC to make information about film
preservation broadly available, an appropriate Creative Commons license
can be selected.  If someone will not adopt the CC license for their
work, then AMIA might choose not to publish or distribute the work.

Grace Agnew

--

Grace Agnew
Associate University Librarian for Digital Library Systems

/Better research, better papers, better grades! Try Searchpath
<http://searchpath.libraries.rutgers.edu>, our new online information
literacy tutorial./
http://searchpath.libraries.rutgers.edu