AMIA-L@LSV.UKY.EDU

AMIA-L Home

AMIA-L  January 2006

AMIA-L January 2006

virtualart.at - new advisory board

Image Science <[log in to unmask]>

Association of Moving Image Archivists <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:19:16 +0100

DEAR COLLEAGUES AND DATABASE OF VIRTUAL ART USERS,

We are happy to announce the new affiliation with improved and long term support provided by the department for Cultural Studies of the Danube University Krems, Austria, which will assure preservation and growth of the Database of Virtual Art.

D V A
As pioneer in the field, the Database of Virtual Art has been documenting the rapidly evolving field of digital installation art since 1999. It is supported by the German Research Foundation and various other institutions. Our research-oriented, complex overview of immersive, interactive, telematic and genetic art has been developed in cooperation with renowned media artists, researchers and institutions. The database is based on open-source-technologies and allows individuals to post material themselves. Currently it contains hundreds of work descriptions including several thousand digital documents, videos, technical data, institutions and bio-bibliographical information. As one of the richest resources online, with a freshly implemented scientific Thesaurus the database responds to the demands of the field.

www.virtualart.at

We encourage your remarks and suggestions!

DANUBE UNIVERSITY KREMS (DUK)
The cultural studies department in Krems contains, in addition to the program in image science, also film, contemporary music and intercultural studies programs - so that the approach is already multimedial, like the subject of Media Art History. With our international faculty members we will continue offering new global programs in the field of media art, collection, curation, preservation and image management.

Center for Image Science:  www.donau-uni.ac.at/cis

DUK NEWSLETTER: http://www.donau-uni.ac.at/zbw/engnewsletter

PERFECT COMBINATION
Beside the Database of Virtual Art -  the Goettweig Print Collection (collection database online soon), which contains 30.000 original prints from Renaissance to Barock until now, allows in-depth research into its large resources. We are glad to report that Danube University is able to provide our field soon with an open archive contextualizing media art in art and image history.

NEW ADVISORY BOARD
At the same time, we are also excited to inform the field of researchers, artists, scholars, students who have found the database a value to their studies, that we have a newly formed advisory board who will help guide the Database of Virtual Art in the future.  Their contributions to the field and their importance to the ongoing developments of media art as the art of our times needs no introduction, but further biographical can be found under:

http://www.virtualart.at/common/advisoryBoard.do

We welcome Roy ASCOTT, Beryl GRAHAM, Erkki HUHTAMO, Jorge LA FERLA, Gunalan NADARAJAN, Christiane PAUL, Martin ROTH, and Steve WILSON as advisors to the Database of Virtual Art.

Problems veiwing the streaming videos?
Windows: Click Start>Settings>Control Panels>QuickTime
Mac: Click Apple Menus>Control Panels>QuickTime Settings
-- choose: streaming transport - http - port 80

Best Regards,

Wendy Jo Coones, M.Ed.