Help for AMIA-L Archives

AMIA-L Archives

AMIA-L@LSV.UKY.EDU

AMIA-L Home

AMIA-L  January 2006

AMIA-L January 2006

Re: Copyright Office Report on Orphan Works

Stephen C Leggett <[log in to unmask]>

Association of Moving Image Archivists <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:13:42 -0500

This Copyright Office report concerns copyrighted works where the owner is impossible or difficult to locate. I'll have to read the whole report but I believe it applies to both published and unpublished works.  And this is still in the premimary stage: legislation would have to be introduced and passed by Congress in order to take effect.

As for the other issue you mentioned (published copyrighted works where the owner is known but the work is not commercially available), that was addressed in Public Law 109-9 (passed April 2005). That public law says that for works in their last 10 years of copyright (presently covering films in the years 1923-1930), a library or archives can make a work available if it is not already commercially available.

Steve Leggett, Staff Coordinator
National Film Preservation Board
Library of Congress (4690)
MBRS Division
Washington, D.C. 20540
p: 202/707-5912
f: 202/707-2371
email: [log in to unmask]
WWW: http://www.loc.gov/film/

Also visit the Web site of our charitable
affiliate, the National Film Preservation
Foundation at
http://www.filmpreservation.org

"It is amazing what can be accomplished when no
one cares who gets the credit."  --  Harry S. Truman

>>> Jessica Rosner <[log in to unmask]> 01/31/06 8:12 PM >>>
um I hate to be stupid but what does this mean
in practical terms ? If there is say a studio owned copyrighted
silent film that the studio has not desire to make available or license
does this change anything? Or does this just apply to films still under
copyright when there is no way to locate the copyright holder?