Help for AMIA-L Archives

AMIA-L Archives

AMIA-L@LSV.UKY.EDU

AMIA-L Home

AMIA-L  January 2006

AMIA-L January 2006

Internship opening - Center for Home Movies

Snowden Becker <[log in to unmask]>

Association of Moving Image Archivists <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:41:24 -0800

Internship openings: Home Movie Day / The Center for Home Movies
(Apologies for cross-posting)

The Center for Home Movies (CHM), a recently-formed non-profit organization, is seeking motivated candidates for several new internship opportunities. Two of these internship positions (described below) will offer the opportunity to assist with planning and execution of the fourth annual International Home Movie Day (HMD) in August of 2006; the third (to be posted later) will provide administrative and logistical support for the CHM directors as they move forward with new initiatives and projects, including the release of our first compilation DVD, the pursuit of grant funding and other support, and the development of our institutional policies and procedures. Detailed descriptions of each position follow. Please circulate this posting among your students and colleagues; we welcome personal referrals or letters of inquiry from prospective applicants. Interested applicants should send a résumé, references, and letter of interest indicating which internship they are applying for to [log in to unmask] Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning January 1, 2006, and will continue until we have filled all available positions.

Home Movie Day Intern: Internal projects
Duties: The "internal" HMD intern will work closely with the HMD co-founders, local hosts, volunteers, and other supporters to ensure a successful annual event for 2006. Duties will include monitoring traffic on the homemovieday email list; helping to recruit new HMD hosts in targeted regions; updating the www.homemovieday.com web site with information about new local venues; communicating with local coordinators to ensure that HMD's preservation and education message is conveyed at all local events; assisting with shipment of materials to local hosts; and other duties related to the maintenance of the HMD community. The time commitment will range from approximately 5-20 hours per week, increasing as HMD06 approaches, and the term of the internship is flexible.

Qualifications: Effective email communication will be a big part of this project, so excellent writing skills, attention to detail, and timeliness are all essential. Basic HTML or web authoring skills (sufficient to make simple updates within an existing web page template) are also required. An outgoing, upbeat personality will be especially helpful with regional recruitment efforts. Availability for regular bi-weekly CHM/HMD conference calls will be required (long-distance charges will be reimbursed monthly). Fluency in a foreign language is a major plus. Candidates who live in the New York or Los Angeles areas will receive preference, but telecommuting is an option for extremely qualified and able candidates.

Benefits: This is an unpaid internship, with no benefits. We can, however, also guarantee an excellent learning experience, contact with a wide range of people working with amateur film, hands-on training in small-gauge film identification, prep, and projection, and the opportunity to contribute significantly to what is arguably the largest motion picture preservation effort in history. To the best of our ability, we will work with the chosen candidate(s) to ensure that their specific internship program credit requirements are met. If you are looking for the chance to help coordinate and strengthen a major international event, involving dozens of archivists and film collecting institutions worldwide, this is the opportunity for you!

Home Movie Day Intern: External projects
Duties: The "external" HMD intern will also work closely with the HMD co-founders, local hosts, and other stakeholders to ensure a successful annual event for 2006. Most duties of this internship will be aimed at raising the international profile of the annual event, and helping to communicate the HMD message ("Don't throw your films away; take them to Home Movie Day!") to the largest possible audience. Specific tasks and projects may include coordinating the creation and distribution of a multimedia press kit; assisting with the creation of a CHM/HMD contacts database; maintenance of the HMD mailing list and coordination with the HMD newsletter editor; research on funding prospects and project grants; responding to inquiries from press and the general public; and other duties related to HMD/CHM's public profile. The time commitment will range from approximately 5-20 hours per week, increasing as HMD06 approaches, and the term of the internship is flexible.

Qualifications: As with the internal projects internship, effective email communication will be a big part of this project, so excellent writing skills, attention to detail, and timeliness are essential. This position offers the opportunity to be part of the public face of Home Movie Day, so comfort with public speaking and/or previous radio/tv/print exposure will be valued. Reporters' urgent deadlines will demand timely responses on certain tasks, so excellent time-management skills and the knowledge of when to refer time-sensitive matters to someone else will be key. Availability for regular bi-weekly CHM/HMD conference calls is required (long-distance charges will be reimbursed monthly). Fluency in a foreign language is a major plus. Candidates who live in the New York or Los Angeles areas will receive preference, but telecommuting is an option for extremely qualified and able candidates.

Benefits: This is an unpaid internship, with no benefits. We can, however, guarantee an excellent learning experience, contact with a wide range of people working with amateur film, hands-on training in small-gauge film identification, prep, and projection, and the opportunity to contribute significantly to what is arguably the largest motion picture preservation effort in history. To the best of our ability, we will work with the chosen candidate(s) to ensure that their specific internship program credit requirements are met. If you are looking for a way to help shape public perceptions of archivists and the field of motion picture preservation, contribute to the growth of a worthwhile project, and develop new non-profit project management skills, this is the opportunity for you!