AMIA-L@LSV.UKY.EDU

AMIA-L Home

AMIA-L  January 2006

AMIA-L January 2006

Re: Southern Film Productions

Louisa Trott <[log in to unmask]>

Association of Moving Image Archivists <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:54:08 +0000

Hi Karen ... and list members

Unfortunately it's not a missing H Lee Waters!
It does, however, appear to have some Waters
influence: reverse motion, speeding up etc - there's
no eveidence of Waters' lingering close-ups though.
It's an excellent example of the 'see your town in the
movies' type.
It's likely that the film was either made by (or
possibly commissioned by) the owner of the local
cinema - so the name 'Southern Film Productions' may
not be an actual company as such.

The film was in the possession of the local library
who also had a very poor vhs recording of a similar
film made in 1941. Sadly, we haven't been able to
track down the original print of that one yet.  It is
rumoured that the cinema owner "made one of these
films every year". However, as the films are so
comprehensive we find it difficult to believe that
this would have been the case .... but you never know
what might turn up, and where.

Another point of interest: the opening credit - which
reads "Southern Film Productions presents Your Town On
Parade" - appears to be on positive stock, whereas the
main part of the film is on reversal stock ....
suggesting that the title was reprinted and may have
been attached to each new film (although it does not
appear on the 1941 vhs copy) .... or ....  was it a
generic title used by an itinerant filmmaker in the
region ...? ...  just as the Melton Barker case is
solved could this be another 'mystery' itinerant
filmmaker on the horizon??!!

 We've been working with the local Historic
Preservation Society and will be showing the 1954 film
(DVD) in the town in February ... hopefully there'll
be people in the audience who remember it being made
and may be able to provide some more info.  We already
have a lot of leads to chase up and people to talk to
locally.

Just wanted to get the name out there in the archive
world to see if anyone else has material by the same
company.
I also posted this query on the SAA listserv and
received a nice reply from someone with suggestions
for possible leads (along the lines of State and
County records, local historians etc).

Will let you know what we discover in February.

Thanks for your interest,
Louisa

Tennessee Archive of Moving Image and Sound