Help for CLASSICS-L Archives

CLASSICS-L Archives

CLASSICS-L@LSV.UKY.EDU

CLASSICS-L Home

CLASSICS-L  February 2006, Week 1

CLASSICS-L February 2006, Week 1

[Fwd: BMR: Gaspard Fossati, Aya Sofia Constantinople. CD]

Diana Wright <[log in to unmask]>

Classical Greek and Latin Discussion Group <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:43:14 -0800

Review by a listmember that raises some practical questions for writers
& publishers.

DW

(From BMCR 2006.02.24)

Gaspard Fossati, Aya Sofia Constantinople. CD-Rom.  Oakland, CA:
Octavo, 2005.  ISBN 1-891-788-34-5.  $30.00.

Reviewed by James J. O'Donnell, Georgetown University
Word count:  984 words
-------------------------------
To read a print-formatted version of this review, see
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/2006/2006-02-24.html
-------------------------------

The monuments of eld present themselves to the tourist's eye as naked
survivors of a long age of neglect and decline. They are rarely such.
Most that we see are rather better thought of as high order Disney
artifacts, reconstructions and restorations based on ancient materials,
shaped as much by the good intentions of archaeologists, patriots, and
promoters as by the heavy hand of time. (Our literary and historical
texts are equally transformed by editors, patriots, and translators, of
course.)

So Justinian's great church in Istanbul comes to the viewer today as
the product of choices and transformations that mainly elide themselves
in order to facilitate the carefully constructed visit of the tourist,
who knows she is in a museum built as a Christian church in what is now
a predominantly Muslim city, where dilapidation and preservation have
produced a massive pile, a bit dark and depressing on the inside, but
impressive as few other buildings of any age can be. Nothing about the
building as you see it speaks of the hands of two Swiss brothers,
Gaspard and Giuseppe Fossati, but their hands are indeed everywhere. It
was they who, in the nineteenth century, did the thoughtful, patient
work that created the theme park experience for the nineteenth-century
traveler. Only Justinian had more to do with this building than
they.[[1]] When the Sultan Abdulmecid visited the restored building, he
could indeed for a moment imagine himself Justinianized and glorious --
for that has always been the function of this building, to imbue the
builder and even the visitor with a deceptive sense of solidity,
grandeur, and pride.

When done, they wrote and illustrated the book, and this is the book.
Published in London in 1852, it had its own restorative effect in
bringing Hagia Sofia to the eye and mind of western readers in an age
when the technologies of travel and photography had not yet made our
tourism and voyeurism possible. But tinted lithography was in its
heyday and the effect of the images in this book on early readers must
have been potent. The interest of the book is architectural, not
artistic, and the silent omission of representation of the mosaics in
the building (some damaged by the Fossatis' restoration work and now
lost) suggests deference to the aniconic sympathies of the Sultan and
of Islam.

The reproduction here takes advantage of digital imaging and
contemporary scholarship to make the book available to a new audience.
The plates are handsomely reproduced and scanned at a resolution that
the publisher claims makes them magnifiable up to 250%, and indeed,
depending on purpose and interest, I have found them serviceable at
400%. Higher magnification pixelates and does not to my eye make new
detail visible.

What is this Octavo edition? The purchaser acquires a CD on which is to
be found a single PDF file 620MB in size, a size determined by the size
of the high-resolution images it contains. When I have copied that file
to my hard disk, what do I have? A 620 MB PDF file. Where shall I keep
it? With my other collector's edition PDFs? In practice, I think this
means it goes in the desktop folder called "Scholark" where I keep
scholarly papers of colleagues, downloads from JSTOR, and the like.
This feels vaguely unsatisfactory. I'm not supposed to share this with
friends and colleagues, and it would take a CD or flash pen to hand it
off to anyone at that.

The contents of the PDF include scanned images of all the pages of the
original book, plus additional material describing the book, describing
the reproduced copy (in the Bancroft Library at Berkeley), and
translating the French text. If I click on an image, I find myself
jumped to a page which gives a ground plan of Hagia Sophia and lets me
click again on the plan to jump to the best image of that part of the
building. It is pleasant and interesting and abounds in useful detail.
A larger monitor and a faster hard disk and processor would have
smoothed the page-turning.

How will I use it? If I were a serious student of the Fossatis and
Hagia Sophia, I would return to this, study it closely, try to print
out bits, and make close study. Because I am not, I will let it lie in
my Scholark folder, a rather less impressive place than my coffee
table, and I doubt I shall return to it much.

The license agreement by which the user is allegedly bound (there is
dispute about the enforceability of these "shrink-wrap" licenses)
unhelpfully appears on the last pages of the PDF, preceded by the
instructions that would have told you how to use the document, if you
had seen them before reading all the other pages.

My reservations about this volume's utility should not be taken as
directed wholly or even mainly at the publisher, who is among the many
struggling to find ways in which to deliver high-quality digital
products to broad audiences. I would naturally prefer something more
readily accessible on the web, but others will disagree. The deeper
question of interest here is what happens in an environment of
abundance. Thirty years ago a new facsimile edition of the Book of
Kells was a wonder of the nations, howbeit an expensive one, and I
still have it on my bookshelf, aging more gracefully than I. But now
there are not only many more such print reproductions, but a flood of
digital representations of works of art, rare books, and the like. In
thirty years, deo volente, I will still own my Book of Kells and turn
to it affectionately from time to time; this PDF file is unlikely to be
with me then. Where will it be? Where preserved? How accessible? There
are few digital products today for which one can answer those questions
with confidence.

Notes:

1.   This is not to minimize the importance of restoration work done in
the 20th century, particularly on the mosaics.