Re: The age of the OT.

Tilde Binger <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:02:47 -0400

Text/plain

>    Um, Mr. Binger, I think I hit some sore spot with you as well.  And I
> don't think it was just how I spelled your name.
Naw, that was nothing.
I do however, violently object to being called "Mr".
As far as I know, "Tilde", a deriviate of "Matilde" is a feminine
name, throughout the world, but somehow most people who disagree
violently with me on issues of the historicity of the OT seem to
think me male.
Perhaps this is symptomatic for their reading of texts ?
(Sorry, I know this was a nasty dig, but I simply could not resist,
since Jim Miller seems to insist on this tone. I would prefer the
polite way, but ...)

> Take offence, or don't, but
> your responses have a fundamentalist feel to them.
Oh, but I am a fundamentalist. I am a fundamentalist adherent to
sound scholarship and sound methodology, even when the subject is
something which trigger faith and cultural prejudices.

> Also, I am not interested
> in arguing Hebrew Scriptures at this length on a Classics forum.
Is this because you feel you are loosing the battle ? Or because you
do not want to have your certainties questioned.
I thougth we agreed on continuing on-list, but marking it clearly, so
anyone not interested could just delete.
Would you prefer to continue this discussion off-list ?

>    You claim that you represent European scholarship, so I offer counter
> examples from European scholarship.
No. I do not claim to represent European scholarship. I claim to
present what I see as the middle-of-the-road of European scholarship.
There is a difference.

> Then you say "It does not matter" who does or does not use a methodology.
Nope. It does not. It does not really matter who uses un-sound
methodology. Un-sound methodology is unsound methodology,
disregarding whether it is you or I or von Rad or Eissfeldt or anyone
else who uses it.

> We can converse or not, but your posts are
> much, much too long for a forum dedicated to another topic.
This is what I have suggested before. You declined then.

>    So, in conclusion, I find significant information in the Hebrew scriptures
> on Iron Age Israel and Judah.
Where ?

> It seems you do not.
No.
I find information of what Persian/Hellenist writers wanted us to
read. To them - as to most, if not all classical "historians" -
something as irrelevant as "What it was really like" was never
allowed to stand in the way of telling a good or edifying story.
Since I consider the OT to be a product of the Hellenistic/Roman era
(rather than the mainstream Persian/Hellenistic-era), I have no
trouble discussing the books in a classical forum.
Since the discussion is marked clearly, and I have had no complaints
(have you ?) I see no reason not to continue it on-list.
And since this is the case, I still have not seen you answer one
single of my manifold questions. Do you want me to restate them, or
are you not really interested in discussing your stand ?

Best wishes.
Tilde Binger
University of Copenhagen
Dptm.of Biblical Studies