Purpose and History of Anahita :-)

mac566f <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Jul 1997 17:05:43 -0500

Several posts recently indicated that Anahita is a classical list.
Actually the list grew out of an NEH Summer institute dealing with women
in the ancient Near East. When we met at Brown two years ago, Ross was
already involved in Diotima. It is my recollection that he decided to
create Anahita while in Providence. The original list members were the
participants in the institute together with others Ross believed might be
interested. Discussions were to concern women and gender in the ancient
world.

The name of the list derives, of course, from a Persian goddess. However,
as in all things, that is merely surface structure. It hides a little
joke. One afternoon one of the presenters treated us to some of her
research concerning a set of Sassanian female images which supposedly
depicted Anahita. These monumental rock carvings are very important
sources for the study of Sassanian kingship. In each case, however, we
learned that the image could not depict the goddess. Lillian Dougherty
later composed a clever trope called "Not Anahita" to a popular 60s
melody. Since her chair reads this list, I won't reveal what happened
next, let me just say that Ross could hardly have chosen a better name
for this group.

Marc Cooper