Re: The age of the OT.

Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Jul 1997 20:45:03 -0400

   Let me give some examples of the inverse-fundamentalism which has been
floating around Biblical scholarship lately, and perhaps this will give some
background for my reactions to Ms. Binger.  (whose gender is not nearly as
revealing as her Sheffield Univ. address).
   The Tel Dan inscription has floated through these posts.  Within this 9th
century inscription is the phrase "bt dwd", which the original publication
read as "bet Dawid"-- House of David, a reference to the royal house of
Judah.  No surprise here.  Except that some rather ridiculous alternative
readings have been proposed, mostly for the purpose of denying that there
could be a reference to David this early.  The alternative mentioned by T.
Binger was "bet dod"--House of the Beloved.  If this was a Hellenistic
inscription that would be an acceptable reading orthographically, but not
during the 9th century.  During the period to which the inscription's
paleography belongs (hence the 9th century date), waw was not used as a vowel
letter.  Where waw occurred in a word which later had a long "o", in this
period the waw was a consonant which later elided with the preceding vowel to
create a long "o".  "Dod" (beloved) is not such a term.  "Dod" is derived
from "dad" (long "a", Akkadian, Ugaritic & Aramaic cognates).  The long "o"
comes from the Canaanite shift which was not represented by the letter waw
until much later.  The question remains, what is the problem with "bet
Dawid"--House of David?  And why transgress all that we know of early
orthography to come up with an alternative reading?
   Again, some scholars behind the attacks on the House of David reading have
undertaken the task of "proving" the Siloam tunnel inscription is Hasmonean
(c. 2nd century) rather than dating to the reign of Hezekiah, or thereabouts.
 The attempt, and its refutation may be found in Biblical Archaeologist, Sept
& Dec issues of 1996.  Again, why this effort?  The arguments are rather poor
and have little or no credence among epigraphers.  Note the Editorial note
inside the front cover of the December issue.  These revisionist attempts are
not very scholarly.  They are very doctrinaire, however.
   After such "scholarship", I get a bit perturbed by this inverse
fundamentalism.  Perhaps I am being too linear and should reconsider relying
on careful scholarly reconstructions.  Rather I should fly after every
revisionist theory so long as it attacks the credibility of the historical
portions of the Hebrew Scriptures.  Not likely.
   How much more of this do you want on ANAHITA?
Jim Miller