Re: The age of the OT.

Tilde Binger <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Jul 1997 03:59:33 -0400

Text/plain

Miller.

Just a final word.
I take it you do not want to answer any of my questions, even if you
do not have the courtesy to say so.
So be it.
This enables me to make what I hope are some final statements on this
subject.

If "inverse fundamentalism" is looking for, and finding alternative
explanations for anything, explanations which do not agree with the
OT, or with the "recieved wisdom" of the history of research, (which
has, until some 25-30 years ago used the OT as the norm and has
explained everything in the light of that) then so be it.
It just strikes me as interesting, that all this "inverse
fundamentalism" (conducted by very fine scholars in tenured positions
all over Europe) does not try to explain away any material finds at
all - with the exeption of the OT - contrary to what biblical
archaeology has to do all the time.

Remeber Occams razor.
If there is a simple, straightforward solution which takes all data
into account, then that is the more probable, even when it does not
agree with anyone's religion.

I am fully aware, that people whose life depends on whether the OT
(and/or the NT) are completely "true" in a 20th c. CE meaning, have
great trouble with this. Wishing things to be different does not mean
that they will be.

I have already stated my bit on BTDWD, (where I, note well, did not
claim that it was a Hellenistic inscription, contrary to what one
might believe if one reads Millers latest post, what I date to the
7th-2nd c. BCE is the Bit Dod dynasty. For the dating of the stela,
read Garbini's - Italian - article in Henoch from 1996 or Cryer's in
SJOT). I will not repeat myself further.
Concerning the Siloam-tunnel, I suggest that anyone interested find
the relevant number of Biblical Archaeologist and read the article
herself, rather than rely on Jim Millers highly tendentious review of
it.
I am not saying that I agree on all points with Davies and Rogerson,
but they forward some very relevant observations, observations
concerning the interpretation of Data.

As what I hope is a final shot:
If we did not have the OT, and did not rely on that as a primary
source to the religion and culture of Syria-Palestine (using
Herodotus' designation here), no-one would ever have gotten the idea,
that this was a monotheist, an-iconic society in the Bronze- and
Iron-ages, or even in Persian times.
The OT and the archaological finds are impossible to harmonize for
these periods. It is as simple as that. This can be explained in a
very simple manner, by dating the OT to be mostly post-exilic (take
your pick of the more exact time), which the content of most of the
books bear out anyway.

Some would consider it sound scholarship to claim litteracy, monarchy
and a central administration in the 10th c. BCE from the fact that we
seem to have these things in the 7th. c. BCE (Yes, it is done,
seriously. I am not making this up !!!!). I, being an "inverted
fundamentalist" do not consider this to be good enough.
300 years were not shorter in the passing BCE than they are now.

Tilde Binger
University of Copenhagen
Dptm.of Biblical Studies
Kcbmagergade 44-46