Re: Tel Dan inscription: BYTDWD.

Tilde Binger <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Jul 1997 05:24:08 -0400

Text/plain

Dear list.
Sorry about this, but I just re-read Millers letter, and found a note
which could not be allowed to go un-commented.

Miller wrote :
> During the period to which the inscription's
> paleography belongs (hence the 9th century date), waw was not used as a vowel
> letter.

The Tel Dan Inscription reads - for the relevant part -
BYTDWD

Continuous script. No word divider, but a so-called matres lectiones
in the first part of the word (and since Miller reads "Bet" here, he
recognizes this).
Thus this inscription knows of the usage of consonants as vowels (and
anyone who wants to show me, that the Yod Matres is earlier than the
Waw-Matres, will have to forward more than statements to that effect).

Therefore the possibilities concerning the epigraphy are:
1. It is a fraud (pace Garbini, Henoch 1996)
2. It is not 9th c. as Biran (the excavator) wanted it to be
(Concerning these two options:
the finer points of the find are very, very suspicious. The stela is
in the first publication shown as being found at the very
least on two different spots, since it is photographed, in situ at
two very clearly different spots. The drawing of the find shows yet
a third location. If it is authentic, no certain dating on the
grounds of location on the Tell has been forwarded to the public).
3. Matres lectiones were used at the time this inscription was
written, both the Waw-matres and the Yod-matres.

Take your pick.
If the first is the case, this discussion is obsolete.
If either of the two latter opitions is the correct one, your
objections are not valid.
> Where waw occurred in a word which later had a long "o", in this
> period the waw was a consonant which later elided with the preceding vowel to
> create a long "o". "Dod" (beloved) is not such a term.  "Dod" is derived
> from "dad" (long "a", Akkadian, Ugaritic & Aramaic cognates).

No.
Anyone interested, which I am certain Miller is not, in a more
comprehensive (and correct) survey of the paleography as well as the
grammar and historical aspects of the language, could start by
reading Cryer, SJOT 1994 or Garbini 1996.

Tilde Binger
University of Copenhagen
Dptm.of Biblical Studies
Kcbmagergade 44-46