Response to Frank Williams: was: The age of the OT.

Tilde Binger <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Jul 1997 10:43:20 -0400

Text/plain

Dear Frank.
You are basically right in yr. assumption.
Your'e a little off in your dating of the cycles.
First there was "The Bible is the truth". Then came enlightenment and
the pre-adamites, who in what I would term civilized society, has long
since won the field from the creationists.
This only discredited the first 11 chapters of Genesis (more or
less). The next wawe of "The Bible speaks the truth" started as
early as the end of the 19th c. beginning of 20'th c., with the
Bibel-Babel-fight. Here Noah and the deluge were vindicated, since
the Gilgamesh-epic with its flood-hero Ut-Napishtim was seen as less
interesting and rather crude Babylonian copy of the Bible (!).
This led to the serious "Biblical archaeology", which really took off
with Gordon, Allbright et al. in the 1930'es and 1940'es, where every
aspect (apart from the creation and perhaps the flood) was "found" in
the archaeological material.
Now biblical scholars of the historical inclination has started
reading the excavation-reports, rather than the biblicist analysis of
them presented in theological and popular litterature. This has led
to the present state of affairs, which has been visible on this list
for the past week or so.
So:
> But I have little knowledge of any of this; are my impressions 'way off
> base, or only somewhat so, or what?
you are not "way off base" (if this means what I think it does).

> The way to wisdom is plain, and easy to express:
> You err, and err, and err again; but less, and less, and less!
>                                                 - Piet Hein, _Grooks_

I quite agree.

Tilde.