Re: the age of the OT

Mary Frances Wogec <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 19 Jul 1997 10:14:31 -0700

personally would welcome as many of Tilde Binger's posts as she sees fit to
send, since she is the author of a new monograph on Asherah for which I, for
one, have been waiting eagerly (since it's directly relevant to the
comprehensive exams I will be taking soon) and has been most gracious in
sharing with us her extensive knowledge and insights on this topic.  Her
posts re: Asherah are also directly pertinent to the topic of this
list--women in the ANE.

        On the other hand, Mr. Miller's defenses of a certain position re:
the historicity of the Hebrew scriptures (also a topic for my exams) are
less timely (we've heard this all many times before, or could look it up
easily, e.g. on IOUDAIOS or in the dozens of books and articles that abound
in any reasonably comprehensive library) and considerably less to this
list's point, IMHO.

        I do think that the tone of recent exchanges is an unfortunate
development--too much like the unpleasantness that seems to follow this
debate to every meeting, journal, or seminar like some nasty little
demon--and it's particulary disheartening on ANAHITA, where the tone has
always been so congenial and helpful.  The need to defend this peripheral
issue, well covered elsewhere, strikes me as an unnecessary distraction from
a very valuable exchange of new information and ideas.

        So I respectfully cast my vote for getting on with ANE goddesses,
hoping that Tilde will continue to be so generous with her time and
knowledge, and letting the boys from the SBL bash away at each other to
their hearts' content on the "age of the OT".

Mary Frances Wogec
UC Berkeley and the Graduate Theological Union

P.S.  What's the problem with a Sheffield address, anyway?  And isn't
Tilde's address at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark?  And how much
longer will we have to wait for your book, Tilde?