Tel Dan inscription: BYTDWD.

Tilde Binger <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 21 Jul 1997 02:58:45 -0400

Text/plain

Much as it bothers me, I have to concede that this is correct.
>    The term "bet" is derived from "bayt" or "bayit" through elision of the
> yodh.  Thus the un-elided term would be written with a yodh without the yodh
> being a matres lexiones.

However, that does not make everything OK.

I quote Fred Cryer SJOT 1994:
"Causing considerable orthographic difficulty is the fact that the
crucial form alledged to mean "house" in the inscription (line 9) is
spelled BYT. The Yod, which bears witness to a diphthong ay, is
attested in Old Aramaic, even if it is absent from the Tel Fekherye
inscription. However, it had in many cases been resolved into a
monophthong by the 9th-8th c.; it was, for example, never used in
purely Phoenician-language texts, and apparently played no rol in the
Samaritan ostraca ..... This phenomenon would be more easily
intelligible if the "House of David" inscription were to be dated to
the 8th-7th century, as we find it as a so-called
"historical-spelling" in a variety of inscriptions in this period,
rather than the 9th, and indeed, as we have seen, there is nothing in
the horizons of the individual graphemes that preculdes such a
dating."

The rest of this discussion should be conducted on B-Hebrew.

Tilde Binger
University of Copenhagen
Dptm.of Biblical Studies
Kcbmagergade 44-46