Call for Papers -- Polis and Urbs Conference

Cashman Kerr Prince <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 Jul 1997 18:13:57 -0700

As a recipient of e-mail from the Women's Classical Caucus, Women & Gender
in the Ancient World, and Lesbian, Gay, & Bisexual Studies in the
Classics, I am taking this opportunity to forward the following call for
papers to you all in the interests of achieving the widest possible
distribution.  I apologize for the cross-listing to others who, like me,
are on more than one of these lists.
While the conference does not explicitly address questions of gender and
sexuality, papers engaging in such analyses are certainly welcome.  You
may either e-mail me directly or the list for the conference (e-address
below).

Cashman Kerr Prince

Polis and Urbs:  Interpreting Civic Space and Identity

A graduate student symposium at Stanford University

CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

The concept of the city is a nexus for a wide range of studies on the ancient
Mediterranean world.  We are seeking papers that discuss various facets of
civic space and identity as reflected in the cultural production of this
region in antiquity.  Potential topics include the urbanity of poetry,
political topography, civic religion and ritual, the boundaries of civic
membership, and utopian and dystopian representations of communities.
Studies may range from the early classical through the late antique
periods; multidisciplinary and non-traditional approaches are encouraged.

There are two goals of this symposium:  to allow graduate students to
present their research in a formal setting and to encourage
interdisciplinary analysis of the ancient Mediterranean world.  Graduate
students in the classics, as well as the other humanities and social
sciences, are encouraged to submit an abstract accompanied by a CV before
October 15, 1997.  We will contact prospective presenters by November 15,
1997.  Papers will be delivered in a panel format, with twenty minutes
allotted to each presentation; questions and discussion will follow.  The
symposium will be held at Stanford University, February 27-28, 1998.

Send abstracts to:      Graduate Student Committee for Symposia
                        Stanford University
                        Department of Classics
                        Stanford, CA  94305-2080

For more information:   Send e-mail to [log in to unmask]