Re: references

Kornel Zoltan Mehesz <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 Jul 1997 16:29:01 -0300

Quod ad Androgynum, aut hermaphrodit refert, potest invenire penes opera
a)      Titus Livius Patavinus
        Hic autor antiquus saepe nobis narrat super androgynos scilicet
Hermaphroditos qui - praecepto Haruspicum - fuerunt - in mare deportati...
b)      Plinius Caecilius. Nat. Hist. VII. c.2.
        Androgynos esse utriusque naturae, inter se vicibus coeuntes, Calliphanes
tradit...
        Nat. Hist. VII. c.3.
        ...gignuntur ex utriusque sexus, quos Hermaphroditos vocamus, olim
"Androgynos" vocatos!...
c)      Julius Obsequens: De prodigiis c.LXXXI
        Lunae, androgynus natus - precepto Hastuspicum in mare "deportatus!"
        XCIV. cap.: Androgynus in agro romano - annorum octo - inventus, et in
mare    doportatus...
        CVIII. cap.: Supplicatum in urbe, quod androgynus inventus, et in mare
deportatus erat...
d)      Diodoros Siculos. Opera
        II. 4.6.5. Tomo 2.  IV.6.5. + Tomo 11. 32.10.

Prof. Dr. K. Zoltan Mehesz
http://www.espacio.com.ar/Mehesz/index.html

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, R H Rodgers wrote:

>Could anyone suggest any Graeco-Roman and modern references to or sources
on >hermaphrodites and gender-swapping myths (i.e. Hercules and Omphale)?

>Also, I recall raeding a reference to a woman during the Roman period who
>supposedly compiled several volumes of an encyclopedia. Later sources
referred to >her, but in a fairly disparaging way - either as getting al of
her ideas from her father or >of the encyclopedia not being worth copying.
However, I cannot find where I read this >account. Does anyone know the
name of this woman and where a reference to her >might be found?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Rene Rodgers