Re: Epikleroi

John Younger <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Jul 1997 18:03:35 -0400

W.K. Lacey, _The Family in Ancient Greece_, has a lengthy section on the
epikleros [BTW, there's a small book on this subject, published obscurely
but recently -- I have it in my office and will look it up when I get
there prob. tomorrow], and he brings up the situation you mention, along
with others, and, if I remember correctly, he goes through the various
legal possibilities but says that there is virtually no evidence for what
happens in these odd cases -- no instances (or very few) have been
recorded; he then goes on to reason with an admirable caution about what
could have happened.  I don't remember all the details of his reasoning,
simiply because, as he admitted, there were remarkably few episodes to
base any real discussion on (so, being an archaeologist, I read these
sections with a glass of wine in my hand and an amused expression, but
little thought).