Re: No Subject

Jean Fitzpatrick <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:50:08 -0400

I see it a little differently.  By intentionally recognizing the
existence of at least two kinds of knowing -- intuitive and analytical,
or objective and subjective -- we can be more aware of the times when
so-called analytical knowing has really been corrupted by craziness such
as bias and stereotyping, and when it has objectified that which is
supposed to be being known in a way that is deadening.  In the
discussion currently on this thread, many have brought up examples of
archaeological finds from the Paleolithic period.  These sculptures of
breasts, buttocks, and vulvas have been interpreted variously as
prehistoric pornographic aids and signs of a goddess culture.  Over the
years the theorists who have chosen to take each of these two approaches
have come up with analytical arguments to justify their points of view.
How much richer our academic discourse would be if we could 1) discuss
analytically exactly what we can and cannot prove about the objects
right now; and 2) feel free to imagine the possibilities, and to explore
their implications for humankind, as acknowledged
participant-observers.  I did not suggest and do not believe that either
analytical knowledge or intuitive knowing is complete or preferable; it
is the tension between the two that, in my experience, brings forth
creativity, awareness, and insight.