Chalice and the Blade

Natalie Bennett <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 Jul 1997 23:02:22 +0700

As a long-time (lay) lurker on this list, this very interesting discussion
has finally prompted me to de-lurk. Some readers in this list might be
interested in:
The Chalice and the Blade in Chinese Culture: Gender Relations and Social
Models, Min Jiayin (ed), China Social Science Publishing House,  1995.

I'm not sure it is internationally available - I bought it in Beijing last year.

While I am here, I wonder if anyone on this list knows of any similar lists,
websites or other cyberspace resources on gender issues in the ancient or
medieval (to use Western-orientated terminology) Asian world. I do a lot of
work on modern gender issues in Asia, particularly south-east Asia, and
frequently come across a lot of misogynist, paternalistic or (I feel) plain
inaccurate accounts of women in Asian history (particularly south-east Asia)
and would love to find some discussion or information which could help me
contradict it.

Regards,
Natalie Bennett,
Bangkok

... (SNIP)
>I would say that the further back we go in time,whereever we look, the more
>plentiful goddess images are, and the greater the historical documentation
>for matrilineage and other female-centered social structures. Gradually
>these cultural elements disappear, but the process is uneven, so that you
>still find goddess statuettes and veneration in patriarchal empires like
>Babylon and Rome. After many centuries of patriarchal law and repression,
>they are found no more. There is no one chronology, as implied in Chalice
>and the Blade with its heavy focus on Europe and west Asia. Brazil and
>Sumatra and Tanzania and indigenous Arizona have their own chronologies.

Natalie Bennett
Bangkok
e-mail [log in to unmask]
Snail mail:     B5, Vimala Suites,
                68 Soi Aree (26),
                Sukhumvit Rd,
                Klong Toey, 10110
                Thailand.
                66-2-2590100, ext. 123
                Fax 2598240
"Do not give your heart to one mistress, nor your loyalty to a single place,
for countless are mistresses and extensive are lands and seas."
Sa'adi, 13th century Persian poet.