Re: No Subject

Jean Fitzpatrick <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 Jul 1997 17:30:06 -0400

Mac, let me clarify the point I'm trying to make with an example.  A
totally analytical approach can quite easily get all wrapped up in a
chilling way of thinking I associate with Star Wars.  It goes something
like this:  "How do I aim this missile with the help of this technology
to hit that particular spot on the planet?"  Here's where a subjective
kind of knowing -- "Those are living, breathing human beings over there
in that country, not bull's-eyes!" -- brings us to a fuller, truer
reality.  I am in total agreement with you that irrationality is
responsible for much of the damage that has happened in history.
However, all that is not rational is not irrational.  Doesn't ancient
myth reside in exactly that liminal space I'm talking about?

Jean