Re: Asherah and monotheism.

"Catharine P. Roth" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 11 Jul 1997 19:34:42 -0700

>So, I guess the answer to your question is:
>No, there was no montheism before 586 BCE (the date of the so-called
>Babylonian exile).
>There is in all probability not anything resembling monotheism in
>"ancient Israel" until (at the very earliest) the 2 c. BCE.
>Yes, the claims in favour of monotheism, made particularly in Kings
>and Chronicles, is late, and IMHO you are absolutely right when you
>call them retrospective interpretations.
>
>Tilde

        So why should we monotheists have trouble accepting that it took a
long time for ancient Israel to discover that God is one? Isn't the Bible
(among other things) a record of how Israel learned about God (and how God
taught Israel)?

      In speculation
I would not willingly acquire a name
      For ill-digested thought;
      But after pondering much
To this conclusion I at last have come:
      Life is uncertain.
                             --  A . E. Housman, Fragment of a Greek Tragedy

Catharine P. Roth
571 Gregory Drive
Vacaville CA 95687-6236 USA