Re: Asherah and monotheism.

-Gloria Rooney <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 13 Jul 1997 22:02:57 -0400

Wouldn't the phase"have no other gods before me" from the big ten sort of
hint that monotheism was not the norm? Read in Genesis where God is "talking
" to other entities. Having so many saints that appeal to the masses would
lead one to believe that humans need the diversity.  The monos. have had to
work awfully hard to convince the world that they were right.  Many of their
"conquered peoples" transferred they deities into the saints as they found it
difficult to give up their beliefs.  The need for polytheism dies hard.
 Given the "magicalness" of childbirth to unsophisticated cultures, the
status of women, especially older, postmetapausal women in primitive
societies that we see today, it is not a great leap of faith to see that
women were given a place in the pantheon.  Maybe this is my "gut feeling",
but it stands to reason.  Why is it so hard to believe that people in ancient
Israel would include it.  What is hard to believe that the references have
not been obliviated before now it the zeal to convert the world.-------gr