Re: No Subject

Max Dashu <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Jul 1997 14:06:22 -0700

I don't use matriarchal because it connotes a reversed patriarchy, a system
of domination. My preferred term is matrix or matrix society, which comes
from a word for womb and also implies a social network based on the life
suppport system, not on coercion. (Patriarchal systems try to ensure
patrilineage by the sexual double standard.)

Mother-right is another good term. Matrilineal just refers to a system of
descent, and decaying matrilineages contain many patriarchal elements. This
fact has led many, many scholars to deny that mother-right is at all linked
to higher status for women, and to discount any historical patterns of
(d)evolution from matrix to patriarchal societies. Matrifocal is a good
term, but I find it too ambiguous, since it could be argued (and often has
been) that many patriarchal societies retain a strong emphasis on the
mother.

Re "antiquity": I vehemently object to the convention that decrees that
Antiquity with a capital A refers to Mediterranean Europe and not to Oraibi
or Teotihuacan or Ile-Ife. Antiquity is ancient times, wherever in the
world, period. Same goes for usage of "the ancient world." Please update to
global consciousness. Plus: if this list is restricted to Greco-Roman
studies,why is it named after an Armenian-Persian goddess?

Max Dashu