A God Like Me

Clara Hardy <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Jul 1997 19:28:58 -0600

This is from Clara's husband, Rob.   My question is:  why do we want or
need a God like us?  Why do we need an Eden where everyone would be like
us?  A goddess-worshipping matriarchy for women, a god-worshipping
patriarchy for men. Blue signs with recognizable pictograms on each of the
doors.  How comfy.  I can't escape being a WASP myself, but my God doesn't
have to be a WASP.  In fact, I think She's a large gospel-singing African
American woman who makes a mean sweet potato pie.  I don't need God to be
more of the same, more of Me, to fill out my life.  [Quote from the Color
Purple goes here, but I can't find it at the moment.]  Look at what Mary
Catherine Bateson, "Composing a Life" (chapter six) says about the
importance of difference, which we too easily label as "inequality."  We're
all just broken-off bits of something; difference helps to bring us back to
the whole.  I want my "re-membering" to connect me not to some mystical
version of myself; I want to be a member of a Body which is made whole by
its inclusion of difference.

-Rob Hardy (Ph.D. in Classics!!)