Re: Matriarchies and such

Kirk Ormand <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Jul 1997 22:07:10 -0500

Crescent (Barbara Ann) writes:

> Why would they need to justify
>patriarchy in that way if it were the only experience of human
>organizational structure ever known in their culture?  Your argument tends
>to support the existence of a matriarchy - or a society where women had more
>power than men were comfortable with them having.

Um, I guess I think that no matter how much power men have, they're always
afraid of the power women *have now*.  "A society where women had more
power than men were comfortable with them having" need not be placed in the
shadowy past of pre-history--that phrase describes every Western culture
with which I'm familiar (including ours).  That's why the continuous
(re)justification of patriarchy is necessary.

Kirk