Re: A God Like Me

Jean Fitzpatrick <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 Jul 1997 09:46:27 -0400

Rob, you make an important point about the human difficulty of
tolerating difference.  But if you return to The Color Purple you will
find conversations in which the characters explore how difficult it is
to connect with a God who appears to be entirely different from
oneself.  The God many of us grew up with, like the old Chevy Chase TV
character, seemed to be saying something like, "I'm God and you're
not."  Why?  In large part because our Western white male artists
depicted God as a white male -- evidently assuming God was just like
them!  So I think marginalized people today who seek to see some of
themselves in God, or some of God in themselves, are working to correct
that egregious error.  Ultimately -- and here I move into talking from a
faith perspective -- God is unknowable, and the more ways of
imaging/understanding God we can come up with, the less we are inclined
to accept a God who is too small.  This is one way in which the ancient
Greeks were a lot smarter than we more-or-less monotheists are.
Jean Fitzpatrick