Re: Asherah and OT. Mostly litterature.

Tilde Binger <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Jul 1997 02:50:44 -0400

Text/plain

Dear Mac.
You ask about a more modern introduction to the OT.
There is nothing which is really up to date, but the following are
not half bad:
N-P. Lemche: Ancient Israel (the popular, short one, NOT his
dissertation from the 1980'es, published by Brill).
A. Soggin: Introduction to the OT.
P.R. Davies: In search of "Ancient Israel". (Which is not so much an
introduction, as it is a statement of where OT-scholarship, the
European fraction, stands).

and,
Dear Susan, you wrote
> Are there are other instances? iconic representations that one wd have
> thought were YHWH if not for what one already "knew"?

There is "the coin", described by Edelman in "The Triumph of Elohim"
(ed. Edelman, Sheffield Academic Press, JSOTS-series). It depicts a
god, seated on a throne with winged wheels, holding a bird (and
eagle) in one hand. It also includes an inscription "YHW", which
according to Sukening in the 1930'es should not be read as "Yahu",
but as a misspelling of "Yehudah", just as (pace Sukenik) the god is
not Yahweh/Yahu at all.(Sukenik's attempt at explaining away is
symptomatic for the field of OT-studies it seems)

Apart from that, my best recommendation is Keel/Uehlingers
"Goettinnen, Goetter und Gottes-symbole", even if it does not take the
issue further than the 6th c. BCE

You wrote, further on:
> on not interpreting "his Asherah"...
> who are these scholars?
> And what do they do about that suffix at the end of the word?

One is Angerstorfer who reads "Ashiratah". Another is me (yes, you
read that correctly !), at least for the Khirbet el-Qom inscription,
where the final Hei seems to stand after (!) the initial Waw of the
following word.
In the latter case, nothing has to be done. The letter is not there.
Finally some seperate the words differently from the "recieved
manner", and do not read Asherah at all, but rather reads A$R, the
relative pronoun in Hebrew, understanding the next word to begin with
the Tau seperated from Asherah / A$RT.

About Ashera-books:
Apart from my own (Asherah. The goddesses of Ugarit, Israel and the
Old Testament, Sheffield Academic Press, 1997), which should
(according to the publishers catalogue) be out now (but I haven't
seen it yet), there is :
Steven Wiggins "A re-assesment of Asherah", and a German dissertation
by a man whose name eludes me right now, but the title is something like
"Monotheismus und die Aussliesslichkeitsanspruche Jahwehs". It is
some 900 pages of German, but if anyone is interested, I can look it
up when I get home.
These are the more recent works, any older works can be found in the
bibliography of either.

Best wishes
Tilde

Tilde Binger