Re: Asherah and OT. Mostly litterature.

Susan Kray <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Jul 1997 10:41:42 -0400

Dear Tilde,

Thank you for your most recent note. this gets more and more interesting. I
am fascinated by the ways in which scholars explain away or "reconstruct"
away evidence. I am especially fond of--to paraphrase--it doesn't really mean
YHW; it's a typo for Yehudah.... (Another favorite instance of mine is the
scholarly custom described by Brooten (1982) of declaring--also on
ideological grounds--that any apparently upstairs spaces in excavated
synagogues are women's galleries, whether there is a provable second story or
not). So this inscription has been around for a long time, explained away and
treated as uninteresting? I assume other instances appear in your book? I'm
looking forward to reading it.

Thanks for the bibliography. Is the 900-page German dis. unpublished, or is
it accessible here? I would like the reference, when you get a chance. I am
very interested in your book. Can you give your fans ordering information,
address of Sheffield Academic Press, which correct me if I'm wrong, I assume
is in UK?

Susan Kray