ANAHITA  August 1997

ANAHITA August 1997

Re: Hebrew Bible/OT/dates/etc.

Max Dashu <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Aug 1997 13:51:48 -0700

<Our international standard system of dating certainly is
>Christian. <clip> It does seem possible to avoid the dates, and present,
>e.g. the time of Hadrian which was approximately...years ago, but
>to my experience at least one student will almost always ask "What year
>was that?"             ___>Lisa Auanger

You're right, we can't assume that the listener knows when the time of
Hadrian was. It becomes too awkward to always say 2000 or 1100 or however
many years ago--what if you need to say,for example,"in 136," or "during
the fourth milennium"? In the 70s I used to say in lectures that AD stood
for Awkward Dating and BC for Baseless Calculation. I soon found that
Jewish and secular authors were using CE and BCE (Common Era and Before
Common Era) and that works for me. I'm sorry we are stuck using this
framework defined by a dominant religious group, having to calculate
forward and backward from some hypothetical year O, but I have found no
better way to make clear what I mean.

I much agree that it is preferable to use Hebrew Bible, Christian Bible, to
OT/NT.

Max Dashu

Suppressed Histories Archives   email: [log in to unmask]
PO Box 3511 Oakland CA 94609 USA
///SHA, now in its 27th year,is centered on International Women's Studies.
The Suppressed Histories Slide Series tours with 50 slide talks.///