ANAHITA  August 1997

ANAHITA August 1997

Re: Athirat and Qadesh

Wed, 6 Aug 1997 19:38:45 -0400

<< The point I'm
 making is that qds names a goddess found in Egypt.  She argues that qds is
an
 epithet of Athirat in the Ugaritic texts and the implication is that
 Athirat and Qadesh are the same deity.  Do you have an opinion >>

Frank Moore Cross in _Canaanite Myth & Hebrew Epic_ (pp.33-35) regards
_Qudsu_, "holiness", as an epithet of Ashera in Ugarit & Egypt.

He cites  an article by I.E.S. Edwards, "A relief of Qudshu-Astarte-Anath in
the Winchester College Collection" JNES 14 (1955), 49-51, also cited in
Albright , _Y & the Gods of Canaan_   The three names appear in this relief
"revealing the confusion of the three goddesses, but also using _Qudsu_ as
the equivalent of Ashera"

He says that her motif of crescent & disk appears widely, including a find on
a breastpiece in a Tannit sanctuary from Ibiza.  I have a marginal note to
myself from 1982 that it also appears on intaglios from Lake Van pieces ~3000
BCE.  (I wish I could remember what I meant).  It alternates with the solar
disc on many Punic steles & eventually becomes a conventional decoration.
 She appears on late coins of Ascalon & Punic Africa.

Sometimes Qds stands on a lion, and eventually she is also often confused
with Sekhmet, the lion-headed goddess.

So, there is no clear answer.  Sometimes she's an independent deity,
sometimes not.

Sheila Shiki y Michaels