ANAHITA  August 1997

ANAHITA August 1997

Re: Hebrew Bible/OT/dates/etc.

Tilde Binger <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 9 Aug 1997 06:13:48 -0400

Text/plain

It's all very well calling the Hebrew text "The Hebrew Bible", but
then, why not take the full step and call it the Tanaakh ?
I for one would greatly deplore that however, not because of any
hard-core Christian fundamentalism, but for the simple reason that
both "Hebrew Bible" and "Tanaakh" are total misnomers when applied to
the non-christian part of the Vulgate as well as the Septuagint.

Besides, there is the problem of canons. The Jewish, the Catholic and
the Protestant canons are not identical. When reducing oneself to the
"Hebrew Bible" or "Tanaakh", one automatically rules out Maccabees or
Sirach as canonical books and count them amongst the apochrypha.

Yes, language is power.
If anyone can come up with a good, neutral way of referring to what I
presently call OT, a way which includes all the books of the Hebrew
the Latin and the Greek ancient versions, I will gladly take it up.
Until then, I will continue to use OT, since it is IMO - until now - the
most convenient shorthand for a very, very confused issue.

Tilde Binger
University of Copenhagen
Dptm.of Biblical Studies
Kcbmagergade 44-46