ANAHITA  August 1997

ANAHITA August 1997

Re: Hebrew Bible/OT/dates/etc.

Max Dashu <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 10 Aug 1997 09:01:09 -0700

>It's all very well calling the Hebrew text "The Hebrew Bible", but
>then, why not take the full step and call it the Tanaakh ?

Because many people would not understand what you are talking about.

as for
>the non-christian part of the Vulgate as well as the Septuagint.

As derivative texts, I see no reason why they should be. How about
translations (however flawed or rearranged) of the Hebrew Bible? or just
"the Vulgate" and "Septuagint"?

>rules out Maccabees or Sirach as canonical books and count them amongst
>the apochrypha.

why is this a problem? These considerations seem to me minor in relation to
the longstanding assumption that Christianity supercedes Judaism. I know
Tilde does not subscribe to that view, but that is what the terminology
"Old Testament" and "New Testament" implies. The Christian priesthood that
originated it also rearranged the order of the Hebrew Bible to build a case
for Yeshua being the Messiah. I think also of the mistranslations in the
Vulgate - such as Moses being called horned where the Hebrew text has rays
of light shining from him - that gave rise to anti-Semitic claims that Jews
had horns. In this light the Christian Old Testament is not the same book
as the Hebrew Bible.

Max Dashu

Suppressed Histories Archives   email: [log in to unmask]
PO Box 3511 Oakland CA 94609 USA
///SHA, now in its 27th year,is centered on International Women's Studies.
The Suppressed Histories Slide Series tours with 50 slide talks.///