ANAHITA  August 1997

ANAHITA August 1997

Hebrew Bible & OT are terms for same text

Sun, 10 Aug 1997 17:27:05 -0400

The Hebrew Bible and OT both refer only to the rabbinical canon.  One would
not include the apocrypha when speaking of the OT, either.  Those parameters
have been drawn for about 1700 years.

Although many sections of apocrypha may be written in Aramaic or Hebrew those
works are not part of the Hebrew Bible, or the "OT".   There are some who
believe that the _Book of Matthew_ was originally written in Aramaic or
Hebrew for a Jewish audience, but that does not make it part of the Hebrew
Bible.

The apocrypha is part of the Christian canon.  Whenever I teach, say, Judith,
or Susannah, I refer to it as Jewish literature which was among the majority
of religious texts which were accepted by many as holy writ, but did not make
it into the rabbinical canon.  They are the Christian text.  It is a good
chance, as well, to teach about the process of compiling the Bible, and of
the political climate.

Maccabees would never be included in discussions of the Hebrew Bible, or
"OT".  Although there is a Jewish holiday which celebrates that victory,
Maccabees is not Jewish holy writ.  It is part of the Christian Bible.  When
I discuss Maccabees I tell people that it is my feeling that it was not
included because it was a political work glorifying the ancestors of a
dynasty which the rabbis might have regarded as unfit, no matter how they
revered the Hashmonean founders.  (Parenthetically, one might also look at
those who live by that text today to see that the rabbis might have rejected
it for the public good.  Or, they might have been a little selective about
style, after all.)

Hebrew Bible and OT refer to the same writings, and they do not include the
apocrypha.  It should not be confusing: people define their own sacred texts.
 We study them, we interpret, we don't assign them.

Sheila Shiki y Michaels

<< "Hebrew Bible" and "Tanaakh" are total misnomers when applied to
 the non-christian part of the Vulgate as well as the Septuagint.

 Besides, there is the problem of canons. The Jewish, the Catholic and
 the Protestant canons are not identical. When reducing oneself to the
 "Hebrew Bible" or "Tanaakh", one automatically rules out Maccabees or
 Sirach as canonical books and count them amongst the apochrypha.