ANAHITA  August 1997

ANAHITA August 1997

Re: Judges? Post-exilic?

Tilde Binger <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:50:08 -0400

Text/plain

Dear Sheila Shiki y Michaels
You ask how I can consider Judges to be anything but pre-586.
Well, let me ask you a counter-question: what are you doing about
Judges 1 ?

When that is said, let me repeat, the discussion is not whether this
or that bit is old or new. To me the question is, when do we have the
litterary whole. That is what we have. We do not have any of the
purported original bits and pieces, and if we do, they are placed in
contexts of other times. Therefore IMO we cannot discuss any
purported - but now lost - "original" but only the original we have.

Every piece of evidence points heavily towards the conclusion, that
the literary whole we have is a very late invention indeed.
I have no problems with this late composition drawing on older
material. Every writer writes out of his or her background,
culturally and personally. What I do have a problem about is, that
the (late) whole is dated by the purported earliest bits thereof.
If this is applied to anything but the OT, historians and students of
litterature would hoot derisively.
By datin the whole to the time of the earliest bits, we discount the
originality and competence of the writer (be he author, collector or
redactor), and reduce the OT to a BCE folkloristic study, rather than
a unique collection of fine litterary compositions, centered on a
religious core.

Best wishes
Tilde Binger
University of Copenhagen