ANAHITA  August 1997

ANAHITA August 1997

Re. Miller's post. Feel free to delete unread.

Tilde Binger <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Aug 1997 06:54:46 -0400

Text/plain

For the record. Please delete if you're tired of this. I am and I
would.
The letter is neither scholarly nor corteous but then, one
has to howl in tune with the wolves one wants to reach.

>    I think TB's problem with excluding the Apocrypha/Deuterocanonicals from
> the Hebrew Bible/OT is that she thinks most of the texts of the Hebrew
> Scriptures are contemporary (or almost contemporary) with the Greek texts.

I do not have a problem with that. You do.

> As for me, I think that byt dwd in the Tel Dan inscription is Bayt Dawid,

Well, so do I, but I do not take it to refer to the fictional king
David of the OT, but rather to the genuine Iron-age god DWD.
If the Tel Dan inscription is genuine, it is either referring to a
temple of a divinity - Dod or David, take your pick - or it is
referring to a polity, named for an eponymous ancestor.
I for one prefer the divinity solution, since it fits perfectly with
the DWD-altar of the Mesha inscription.

> .... is pre-exilic as is the Mesha stele
What a wonderful thing propaganda and mis-information is. By this
simple expedient would Miller have me - and everyone else - believe
that I have dated the Mesha-inscription to Hellenist times.
I have not.
Ever.

And I am, quite frankly, sick and tired of Miller's wilful
misrepresentations of me and my opinions.
Let me therefore state it, in simple words that cannot be
misunderstood.
Since I made my first post on this list, Mr. Miller has seen it as
his finest and foremost object to slander and vilify me in any
possible way. This path has had many variants the mis-information re.
the Mesha-stela being but the latest.
I had decided not to answer to Miller's posts anymore after his
letter of July 17th, where he wrote :
> this will give some background for my reactions to Ms. Binger.
> (whose gender is not nearly as revealing as her Sheffield Univ.
> address).
But I will not stand for mis-representation of the snide kind
utilized by Miller.
Millers problem - since he seems to think it OK to run slanderous
pseudo-analysis of each-others charachters on list - seems to be that
he not only is a sexist with a heavy slant towards religious
fundamentalism who cannot bear to have his preconceptions questioned
by anyone, much less by a woman, but also that he is rude and
ill-informed, is unable to read plain english as well as unable to
participate in a corteous scholarly debate, a debate which demands
that one has an open mind.
I have uncertain little people like that in every class I teach, and
I feel sorry for most of them.

Tilde Binger
University of Copenhagen
Dptm.of Biblical Studies