ANAHITA  August 1997

ANAHITA August 1997

Re: EVIDENCE

Mon, 4 Aug 1997 14:48:18 -0400

 I know these messages are probably old, but I'm just downloading them, now.

<< Please remember that archaeological EVIDENCE is based on INTERPRETATION.

I keep thinking of a prehistoric Spanish drawing of someone (in profile)
hanging from a cliff & gathering honey.  Until a few years ago, the gatherer
was always, always, always, everywhere & invariably identified as "A Man":
absolutely no doubt about the gender.  (I guess because it was plainly
dangerous work, even for the fit & skilled.  Or because all representations
of prehistoric women were fertility figures.)

I came across this figure often after I became interested in bees & ancient
apiculture, more than 20 years ago.   I always wondered how prehistoric men
developed those big butts & liddy-biddy waists for evolutionary advantage,
doubtless, & then got us as descendants?

A couple of years ago, more or less, someone --probably a woman-- took into
account the very obvious sexual definition of the figure (otherwise such a
determinant in human culture:anatomy is destiny, after all) & the there has
been a metamorphosis in gender in recent texts.

Sheila Shiki y Michaels