ANAHITA  August 1997

ANAHITA August 1997

Theology

Frank Williams <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 11 Aug 1997 14:04:32 -0400

What can we infer ("know" is doubtless too strong a term) about the
Caananites' and Israelites' beliefs and attitudes toward their deities?
I.e., their theology?  Did they really think invisible supernatural
beings affected their lives and events in the world?  If so, did they
think *their* deities were active everywhere, or only in their own
geographical area -- thinking that other peoples had different deities
that related to them?  Did the Israelites think JHVH was supreme among
all the deities there were, or was just a provincial Hebrew protector?
Or did such questions never cross their minds?

I find all the discussion about who was the consort of whom, et al, to be
fairly interesting, but I would find more interesting issues like, what
did they really believe to be *true*, and what if any implications might
that have for what *we* should believe to be the truth about supernatural
matters.  Or are such questions out of bounds for students of ancient
history??

Frank Williams  [log in to unmask]
Eastern Kentucky University

The way to wisdom is plain, and easy to express:
You err, and err, and err again; but less, and less, and less!
                                                - Piet Hein, _Grooks_